.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

fishing in a bucket

"Fishing in a bucket. The total hopelessness of the activity was very soothing." - from "The Exiles" by Hilary McKay

My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, Canada

Reading: By The Lake (McGahern); Contemporary Canadian Women's Short Stories (Ed: Moore) [email me: fishinginabucket at gmail dot com]

Friday, September 16, 2005

The Food Entry

You know how in kids books the food is always described in great detail?

Well, when I was a kid, (or, ok, yesterday), I read these kinds of books and I loved the scenes with lots of food. They'd always come after a big adventure - an illicit one, where the kids at the boarding school would raid the kitchen and have a midnight feast and stuff themselves silly; or a daring one, after they'd escaped to an island to live away from their evil aunts. Eating was always such a glorious thing, a celebration. And half the time, I'd have no idea what they were eating.

I don't know where I read about it, but the name was so odd that the product itself - if not the story in which I found it - stayed with me. An egg cream, a little birdie called Google told me, is syrup (typically chocolate or vanilla) with seltzer and cold milk. You get them in those old-fashioned soda shoppe tall glasses, the kind the kids drink out of in Archie comics. It's apparently a very Old-New-York thing to drink. So I did a bit of research, and a bit of traipsing, and I found a place on Broadway that serves - in my humble, completely uninformed opinion - a pretty decent egg cream.

New York is a cultured city, indeed.

Other Food I Had Read About But Not Tasted Until Relatively Recently:

- yorkshire pudding (at college, apparently not the best ones around, but I thought they were delicious)
- pumpkin pie (in high school. I am now addicted... thanks R.K!!)
- rice pudding (in Ireland, out of can. yum!)


More Food I Have Read About And Want To Try:

- blood pudding (is it really made out of blood?)
- tongue (is it really made out of tongue?)
- poutine with foie gras on top (seriously, who thought of that?!)

1 Comments:

Blogger j said...

I've actually already been to the Seinfeld diner! I thought it was necessary. I did not have a big salad. I had a coffee. I will go back and get a salad. That sounds very healthy, unlike, say, blood pudding. What is the white version made out of?

11:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home