Jingle all the way
Ok, look, I'll admit it: I occasionally like the occasional Christmas-themed tune. ('Occasional' is the key word here.) I'm fond of the Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Jordan version of "baby it's cold outside." (Does that count?) I love Joni's "River" (even if it's not terribly cheerful) - I even downloaded the new Sarah McLachlan version. U2's "Christmas baby please come home" cracks me up. I like "let it snow", and even some of the churchy-er songs, despite not actually, you know, ever having gone to church as anything other than a tourist.
But there is a time and place for Christmas songs - namely, when no else is around to laugh at you for secretly liking three Christmas songs. (Ok, four. Fine, a half-dozen at most.)
That said, I don't really understand why people put Christmas songs in stores. On repeat. For a month and a half. I mean, I guess it's because they figure that it'll infuse the customers with a generous, expensive Christmas spirit (often called 'guilt') which will lead to higher sales.
Now, I love to shop. There's not a lot (besides a basic lack of funds) that will prevent me from shopping, when I really want to shop. But Christmas songs - bad ones - on repeat - for a month and a half - will make me run out of the store, crying onto my shiny, clean credit card, desperately searching for some place to use it unassaulted.
Thank god for online shopping!
But there is a time and place for Christmas songs - namely, when no else is around to laugh at you for secretly liking three Christmas songs. (Ok, four. Fine, a half-dozen at most.)
That said, I don't really understand why people put Christmas songs in stores. On repeat. For a month and a half. I mean, I guess it's because they figure that it'll infuse the customers with a generous, expensive Christmas spirit (often called 'guilt') which will lead to higher sales.
Now, I love to shop. There's not a lot (besides a basic lack of funds) that will prevent me from shopping, when I really want to shop. But Christmas songs - bad ones - on repeat - for a month and a half - will make me run out of the store, crying onto my shiny, clean credit card, desperately searching for some place to use it unassaulted.
Thank god for online shopping!


3 Comments:
haha, my mom LOVEs Chrismas songs, and aside from at one point playing "Little Town of Bethlahem" on the piano for her when i was maybe seven, I avoid them like the plague. Unfortunately, I have dinner with her every Sunday, and this Sunday the Christmas cds were out in full force...sigh.
it's hard being a non-Christian in America these days, and in my opinion Christmas songs are one of the low points of the "(cultural) holiday (that i don't celebrate)season"....
but i will still buy/create gifts for everyone...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
cThank you for being brave and admitting you like Christmas songs. You've given me the courage to speak out myself. See: "Christmas songs make me feel all fuzzy inside, and I will not be ashamed."
Post a Comment
<< Home