.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

fishing in a bucket

"Fishing in a bucket. The total hopelessness of the activity was very soothing." - from "The Exiles" by Hilary McKay

My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, Canada

Reading: By The Lake (McGahern); Contemporary Canadian Women's Short Stories (Ed: Moore) [email me: fishinginabucket at gmail dot com]

Thursday, January 04, 2007

jinxed

Of course, as soon as Gracie woke up, she figured out that her mom wasn't there, and she decided to blame me. I tried to explain that I hadn't eaten her mom or anything, that her mom had just gone shopping and that I promised she'd be back soon, but Gracie was pretty mad at me. Eventually I figured out that she just needed some time to cool off. If I left her in her chair with a toy, she was fine. If I tried to go talk to her or cheer her up, she remembered that her mom wasn't around and got mad all over again. Even after her mom got back, she was still wary of me for a couple of hours, looking at me like she didn't trust me anymore. Which just goes to prove that she's a smart kid; because I hadn't been around, her mom wouldn't have left to go shopping at all!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home