.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

fishing in a bucket

"Fishing in a bucket. The total hopelessness of the activity was very soothing." - from "The Exiles" by Hilary McKay

My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, Canada

Reading: By The Lake (McGahern); Contemporary Canadian Women's Short Stories (Ed: Moore) [email me: fishinginabucket at gmail dot com]

Monday, July 24, 2006

declaration of independence

Yesterday I went to a coffee shop and ordered an iced coffee all by myself! I was very proud of myself. I also now know how to get back to my brother's apartment from the local square, and, as such, have been granted keys. Keys equal freedom, and from now on the plan is to wake up, make coffee, write, and then explore. It doesn't matter if I get lost - which is inevitable, given the lack of street signs - because I can just get in a cab and get back to the square.

The lack of street signs and necessity of cab-taking does put a strain on the budget, though, even though the cabs are cheap. The worry is that they will figure out (from my horrible accent) that I'm a foreigner (although if I don't open my mouth I can pass for Turkish) and take me on a round-about route. I think, though, that getting lost will be fun. It is impossible to be lost in New York, except, occasionally, in the West Village, and even when I'm travelling, I'm never really lost because of the map in my purse. This is going to be glorious.

My brother is annoyed because I'm not over my jet lag yet, and go to bed at 3 am and wake up at noon. It occurs to me, though, that, really, when not bothered by family members, teaching, or unfortunate 10am classes, this is body's normal schedule. So it's not that I'm not over jet lag, it's that my body has finally rebelled against my crazy, daylight-loving family, and has demanded to be treated properly.

2 Comments:

Blogger bee said...

just please tell me you know the name of the square so you can get back to it.

cuddles right back atcha. i'll propose the nickname to met, okay?
lol.

and ani's having a fricking baby???????

5:19 AM  
Blogger Di Mackey said...

The bad taxi drivers who work out you're a foreigner ... say 'cok ayip!'

Hmmmm, sounds like chok ioop or iuup ... it means 'shame on you' and it does embarass them but in two years I only got ripped off twice and a fierce kiwi chick in the car isn't always the nicest thing for a taxi driver.

11:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home