.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

fishing in a bucket

"Fishing in a bucket. The total hopelessness of the activity was very soothing." - from "The Exiles" by Hilary McKay

My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, Canada

Reading: By The Lake (McGahern); Contemporary Canadian Women's Short Stories (Ed: Moore) [email me: fishinginabucket at gmail dot com]

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Adventures in Babysitting

Shazz rolled into town last night.

We spent an hour wandering up and down Broadway and Amsterdam, looking for a place to eat. He nixed French, as apparently he can get it in Istanbul, and I suggested Italian. I took him to my local favourite, but he thought it was too chi-chi, what with the $10 pasta dishes and twinkly lights. He wanted, he explained, a down-home, checkered table-cloth kind of joint, where he could order Chicken Parm. We passed a place with the requisite checkered table-cloths only to find, on inspection, that it did not, in fact, serve Chicken Parm, and was more expensive than the place I suggested.

Ok, I thought, and pointed out the local pizza dive.
"Too dive-y," came the pronouncement.

Then we spent half-an-hour searching for a Greek place on Broadway that doesn't actually exist.

Finally, his little legs tukered out, my babysitting charge conceded to eat at the diner.

I don't get paid enough.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home