horses. on a beach. galloping.
To take a break from proofing my thesis, I went to see Mamma Mia with my dad. It was thoroughly enjoyable, even if Pierce Brosnan was a bit stiff for my liking. I didn't mind that he couldn't sing terribly well - it was that his expression (one of intense... intensity) didn't change for the whole film. Still, there was a Darcy-esque scene where Colin Firth is all wet in a button-down, so I don't think people were paying much attention to Mr. Brosnan.
The funniest part came during the previews, when the trailer for Night in Rodanthe played. The movie is based on the book of the same name, by Nicholas Sparks, the guy who wrote the books the films A Night to Remember and The Notebook were based on. I've caught a bit of the first on TV, and could never quite suffer through the whole flick. I've seen The Notebook more than once, and thoroughly enjoyed every cheesy line, every steamy glower, every stitch that Rachel McAdams wears. And Nights in Rodanthe has much to recommend it: Diane Lane is gorgeous, Richard Gere is Richard Gere, the house they hang out in is huge and right on the beach, James Franco is brooding in the background, and they even have an Arrested Development alumni: Mae Whitman, (...her?) with an awesome, dark new haircut.
But they also have horses. On a beach. Galloping.
I'll generally support anything anyone who was ever involved in Arrested Development ever does, but the horses on the beach, coupled with the Token Sassy Black Best Friend, mean I'm going to have to give this one a miss. Especially after witnessing the following bit of dialogue:
Diane Lane: I made that [box]. It's to keep special things safe.
Richard Gere: Who keeps you safe?
Ok, ok. If it comes on TV, I might watch a bit. But just for the pretty beach, and pretty James Franco, and pretty Mae Whitman. But I'm still going to laugh at the horses.
The funniest part came during the previews, when the trailer for Night in Rodanthe played. The movie is based on the book of the same name, by Nicholas Sparks, the guy who wrote the books the films A Night to Remember and The Notebook were based on. I've caught a bit of the first on TV, and could never quite suffer through the whole flick. I've seen The Notebook more than once, and thoroughly enjoyed every cheesy line, every steamy glower, every stitch that Rachel McAdams wears. And Nights in Rodanthe has much to recommend it: Diane Lane is gorgeous, Richard Gere is Richard Gere, the house they hang out in is huge and right on the beach, James Franco is brooding in the background, and they even have an Arrested Development alumni: Mae Whitman, (...her?) with an awesome, dark new haircut.
But they also have horses. On a beach. Galloping.
I'll generally support anything anyone who was ever involved in Arrested Development ever does, but the horses on the beach, coupled with the Token Sassy Black Best Friend, mean I'm going to have to give this one a miss. Especially after witnessing the following bit of dialogue:
Diane Lane: I made that [box]. It's to keep special things safe.
Richard Gere: Who keeps you safe?
Ok, ok. If it comes on TV, I might watch a bit. But just for the pretty beach, and pretty James Franco, and pretty Mae Whitman. But I'm still going to laugh at the horses.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home