.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

fishing in a bucket

"Fishing in a bucket. The total hopelessness of the activity was very soothing." - from "The Exiles" by Hilary McKay

My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, Canada

Reading: By The Lake (McGahern); Contemporary Canadian Women's Short Stories (Ed: Moore) [email me: fishinginabucket at gmail dot com]

Friday, June 01, 2007

deathly hallows

It's June, and there are 7 weeks until the last Harry Potter book is released. I plan on re-reading the first 6 before the 7th comes out.

All my HP books are hardcover, bought in Canada, so, of course, have the Canadian cover. When you line them up in the bookshelf the spines match. It's pleasing. Naturally, I want book 7 in the Canadian cover. The problem with that is that I live in NYC, and have no desire to wait to purchase it.

I asked my mom if she thought it was a good idea if I came home that weekend. (Read: if she would buy me a plane ticket home, and then, let's be honest, buy me the actual book since it's crazy-expensive: a whopping $45 CAD if you don't pre-order from some behemoth.) My mom just laughed at me, for which no rational person can blame her. Here's a secret, though: when it comes to certain things, especially stories, all my god-given rationality drops away like so much wrapper around an ice-cream sandwich in a child's hands. So, I was a little hurt by that.

Fortunately, the next thing she said was, "Why don't you come home for a visit when your father is in Germany?"

Turns out he's leaving the day before HP7 is released; I'm booking my ticket this weekend.

Of course, I'm telling everyone I know that I'm only going home to celebrate the release of the last book. Nothing to do with my mom, nothing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home