.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

fishing in a bucket

"Fishing in a bucket. The total hopelessness of the activity was very soothing." - from "The Exiles" by Hilary McKay

My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, Canada

Reading: By The Lake (McGahern); Contemporary Canadian Women's Short Stories (Ed: Moore) [email me: fishinginabucket at gmail dot com]

Thursday, September 27, 2007

heartbreak

I'm leaving NYC. I've waived my health insurance. I've shipped my books back home. I've - no joke - given away my coffee grinder and my bodem.

It's this last thing that solidifies, in my mind, the fact of my leaving.

I feel like I'm ending a grand love affair. A slightly abusive one, perhaps, what with the sky-high rent and the lack of free health care, and as such, know that I'm doing the right thing, but, still: it was a grand love affair, and it's sad that it's over. I'm heartbroken, devastated, inclined to retail therapy.

Everywhere I go I encounter nostalgia. There's the corner where I saw a man peeing in the street! There's the park where my friend almost got mugged! It's awful, this stasis: having made the decision and waiting (12 days now) to move. Still, I draw strength from the knowledge that now that I don't have to save exorbitant amounts for rent, I can afford a bottle of champers a night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home