the third degree
My goddaughter has gotten to that stage where she asks 'why' to any given statement. It is adorable and I hope she keeps asking questions for the rest of her life, I really do, just not while I'm trying to flip fish sticks in an open oven. I think, however, I've figured out how to trump her; simply state something she doesn't understand that vaguely lays the blame on someone or something else. For example, we had the following conversation yesterday:
"Duckie, I'm going to open the oven door to flip the fish sticks, so I'd like you to stay back, please."
"Why?"
"Because the oven is hot-hot and you might burn yourself."
"Why?"
"Because... human beings have thin, sensitive skin."
"Why?"
"Because evolution failed us."
I think this method will work until she learns to ask what certain words mean.
"Duckie, I'm going to open the oven door to flip the fish sticks, so I'd like you to stay back, please."
"Why?"
"Because the oven is hot-hot and you might burn yourself."
"Why?"
"Because... human beings have thin, sensitive skin."
"Why?"
"Because evolution failed us."
I think this method will work until she learns to ask what certain words mean.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home