.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

fishing in a bucket

"Fishing in a bucket. The total hopelessness of the activity was very soothing." - from "The Exiles" by Hilary McKay

My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, Canada

Reading: By The Lake (McGahern); Contemporary Canadian Women's Short Stories (Ed: Moore) [email me: fishinginabucket at gmail dot com]

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

thumbs-down.

I just handed in a paper and finished a class. Yeah, it's weird. It's barely February and I have a class done. You have the option of taking one or more of many one-point classes that lasts four weeks and is very focused on one idea. It sounds great, right? It's like an appetizer: it's small and bite-sized, and you can easily eat (take) 3 in one semester, and you get these interesting guest professors (that aren't part of the main course that is the regular faculty) and... ok, this metaphor is dying, here.

Point is: sounds great, right?

Well, sure, if the class was not so good. You know when master classes would be great? First year university. Say you take 9 master classes in a semester, three at a time, each for a month; you get 9 topics, nine profs, you get to shop around, see what you like in the world.

The class that just ended? Awesome. The reading list? Fantastic The prof? Possibly the best prof ever. He's not full-time at Columbia, he was visiting from Harvard.

So I'm supposed to be all happy and relieved because for the next month I have a very manageable four classes to attend. But, instead, I'm grouchy and sending bad vibes towards Boston. Stupid Bostonians with their stupid tea party. Why can't they drink coffee like normal people?!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home