.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

fishing in a bucket

"Fishing in a bucket. The total hopelessness of the activity was very soothing." - from "The Exiles" by Hilary McKay

My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, Canada

Reading: By The Lake (McGahern); Contemporary Canadian Women's Short Stories (Ed: Moore) [email me: fishinginabucket at gmail dot com]

Friday, April 28, 2006

I have wings!

I had my first experience with Red Bull the other night. As I feel this was a significant moment in my young life, I am compelled to blog about it.
What can I say about Red Bull? It's disgusting. And effective. Curiously so. When I drink coffee (as I do, copiously) it stays in my system for about 5-6 hours. But a few sips of Red Bull gets in there, keeps me super-awake for half-an-hour, and then lets me crash.
It can't be healthy.

I'm pretty much done for the year. I have a make-up class in a week and a half, for which I have to edit 3 stories, but otherwise, I'm all done. It's... weird.
After handing in my last paper yesterday, I went to see Steven Pinker talk about The Blank Slate. I knew I'd have to wait for a bit, so I automatically reached for a book... only, I didn't know which one to reach for. I don't have anything I have to read. Not having had the luxury of choosing for 8 months, I have no idea what I actually want to read! I had a slight panic attack, which involved a call to my long-suffering mother. After the lecture, I headed straight for the bookstore. As I browsed, I realized that I haven't been in a bookstore since Christmas, unless it was to pick up a book for a class. I have no idea what's on the bestseller list, or what's in the reviews. I have no clue what the latest trend in bookcover-colours is.
Summer is going to be awesome.

In response to Sunset Shazz's recent comment: That' s a great idea, Shazz. Perhaps I will join you in Istanbul for four months to see if I can meet your challenge! You have a spare bedroom, right?

3 Comments:

Blogger V said...

Awesome about Istanbul! When do I get to come see you?? i.e. when do you buy me a plane ticket?? ;-)

11:16 PM  
Blogger Sunset Shazz said...

I have several comments:

First of all, Steven Pinker is the MAN. "The Blank Slate" is a lucidly written, excellent book - did I lend you my copy? The fact that he subscribes to and cites Reason is evidence that he is a man of culture and sophistication.

Secondly, this girl I know was raving last night about Philip Roth. I mentioned that you're pals with him.

Lastly, and most importantly, Red Bull, when used judiciously, is incredible stuff. The first time I tried it, I shared a can with Ace in Vegas - we ended up staying up until 8 AM. It's the Taurine which does the trick. I actually like the taste now; my advice to you is to mix it with some vodka on ice.

- Sunset.

PS: You are welcome any time in Istanbul for up to 4 weeks. Then I kick you onto the street to live with the stray cats and dogs.

2:18 AM  
Blogger bee said...

whoa. ANNA'S PREGNANT? congratulations! i think i knew this, but forgot.

go to istanbul. then constantinople. then istanbul.

12:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home