.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

fishing in a bucket

"Fishing in a bucket. The total hopelessness of the activity was very soothing." - from "The Exiles" by Hilary McKay

My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, Canada

Reading: By The Lake (McGahern); Contemporary Canadian Women's Short Stories (Ed: Moore) [email me: fishinginabucket at gmail dot com]

Monday, April 10, 2006

rumbly in my tumbly

Oh, my obsession with cooking shows rears its ugly head.

I don't have cable; this was a somewhat conscious choice, in the name of encouraging Good Study Habits. I knew that I could get the necessary Daily Show fix online; and most of the other shows I watch with any regularity are on the regular channels anyway.

But I miss the food network.

There was this one show, about a loud, selfish English chef who carted his long-suffering wife and six kids (three teens, and three under the age of six) over to France so he could fall in love with the simple act of cooking again, without the stress of a chef's busy restaurant life. Maybe the original idea was that it would be a cooking show with a background of zany transplated-English-in-France family life, but it turned into a show about zany transplanted-English-in-France family life with a background about cooking.

I've finally figured out that one can watch some cooking shows on youtube. (Why why why didn't I think of this before?! Maybe it's for the best... almost the end of the semester... all sorts of stuff coming into season...) Mario Bartoli taught me how to make... something Italian that's sort of cake-y and has warm, sweetened fruit on top. Yum. (In theory. Haven't actually tried this yet.)

The problem? I cannot for the life of me remember the other show's name. I remember the chef was called John (mostly because I remember his wife screaming "Johhhhn!" everytime he did something like bring a goat home to milk for cheese, or want to kill the children's pet duck for pate), and... that's pretty much it. I looked on the BBC website, but I'm not even sure it's a BBC show. Anyone have any ideas? I'm sure when it was on the food network (this would have been around 2004-05) that I talked about it. It really was one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sunset Shazz said...

There's also a show on BBC America that satirizes pretentious foodies and cooking shows. It's called "Posh Nosh" and stars the English dude who played Roland in "L.A. Story". I bet you can get it on the internet - fricking hilarious.

You should also get one of your geek buddies to show you how to use bittorrent, as it's a way to use file shareing to watch pretty much any tv show. I am currently going through season for of "Trailer Park Boys", which is hilarious.

10:36 PM  
Blogger bee said...

shazz is cool.

7:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home