Give me excess of it
"If music be the food of love, play on;
Give me excess of it, that, surfeiting,
The appetite may sicken, and so die.
That strain again! It had a dying fall:
O! it came o'er my ear like the sweet sound
That breathes upon a bank of violets,
Stealing and giving odour. Enough! no more:
'Tis not so sweet now as it was before."
Twelfth Night, I.i.
You know how certain songs bring back certain memories, or times of your life, or strong emotions? Like, the last song on the second Coldplay album reminds me of an otherwise forgotten road trip in England with my father and my aunt; "blue suede shoes" by Elvis perfectly recalls the living room of my childhood home; and U2's "vertigo" still occasionally reminds me of a bus ride in France, to and from Cannes and Grasse.
It's all very easy and pleasent when it's contemporary music that I know, and memories that are mine. When it's classical stuff that I don't know, it ends with me saying things like "You know, that song, with the violins, and everyone, like, twirls in the ballroom at the beginning of that movie whose name, plot, and actors I forget..."
The other day, watching figure skating (or ice dancing, not sure which) the couple was skating/dancing to a classical piece, with violins, that was very pretty, and I knew I knew it, and I couldn't place it, which is irritating in the first place, but then, innocently eating my dinner and wondering when the Olympics would finally be over, I felt overwhelmingly angry. Suddenly I wanted the pair skating to lose, and lose miserably, shamefully, a loss preferably including an embarassing wardrobe malfunction.
I wasn't angry because I couldn't place the movie that I'd heard the piece in (never mind the actual name or composer of the piece) but because whatever movie it was had made me so angry that the strains of these violins continued to enfuriated me even though I couldn't place the film or when I'd seen it. For all I know, I saw it when I was five, and I was mad because Baloo died or something.
I still haven't placed that tune or that movie.
Did anyone watch the Olympics? (And, should I be capitalizing the Olympics in the middle of sentences?) Did anyone see any pairs ice skating or dancing to something classical-sounding with violins and a phrase that repeated and get really mad because the music reminded them of a movie that made them angry?
Help?
Give me excess of it, that, surfeiting,
The appetite may sicken, and so die.
That strain again! It had a dying fall:
O! it came o'er my ear like the sweet sound
That breathes upon a bank of violets,
Stealing and giving odour. Enough! no more:
'Tis not so sweet now as it was before."
Twelfth Night, I.i.
You know how certain songs bring back certain memories, or times of your life, or strong emotions? Like, the last song on the second Coldplay album reminds me of an otherwise forgotten road trip in England with my father and my aunt; "blue suede shoes" by Elvis perfectly recalls the living room of my childhood home; and U2's "vertigo" still occasionally reminds me of a bus ride in France, to and from Cannes and Grasse.
It's all very easy and pleasent when it's contemporary music that I know, and memories that are mine. When it's classical stuff that I don't know, it ends with me saying things like "You know, that song, with the violins, and everyone, like, twirls in the ballroom at the beginning of that movie whose name, plot, and actors I forget..."
The other day, watching figure skating (or ice dancing, not sure which) the couple was skating/dancing to a classical piece, with violins, that was very pretty, and I knew I knew it, and I couldn't place it, which is irritating in the first place, but then, innocently eating my dinner and wondering when the Olympics would finally be over, I felt overwhelmingly angry. Suddenly I wanted the pair skating to lose, and lose miserably, shamefully, a loss preferably including an embarassing wardrobe malfunction.
I wasn't angry because I couldn't place the movie that I'd heard the piece in (never mind the actual name or composer of the piece) but because whatever movie it was had made me so angry that the strains of these violins continued to enfuriated me even though I couldn't place the film or when I'd seen it. For all I know, I saw it when I was five, and I was mad because Baloo died or something.
I still haven't placed that tune or that movie.
Did anyone watch the Olympics? (And, should I be capitalizing the Olympics in the middle of sentences?) Did anyone see any pairs ice skating or dancing to something classical-sounding with violins and a phrase that repeated and get really mad because the music reminded them of a movie that made them angry?
Help?


1 Comments:
sorry, can't help you....
i would like a follow-up on what the song is, though.
do you know the names of the skaters? could you google them and look at their programs? the titles of songs are usually listed and you might have a eureka moment.
good luck...
Post a Comment
<< Home