.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

fishing in a bucket

"Fishing in a bucket. The total hopelessness of the activity was very soothing." - from "The Exiles" by Hilary McKay

My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, Canada

Reading: By The Lake (McGahern); Contemporary Canadian Women's Short Stories (Ed: Moore) [email me: fishinginabucket at gmail dot com]

Sunday, February 26, 2006

"girls just wanna have fun"

High school dances are way better in your mid-to-late twenties. For one thing, you can drink, legally, and for another, no one's shy anymore about dancing, so everyone dances while slightly soused to 80s music.

Moreover, if you happen to go to a school full of arty-types, you get a few who, like me, create characters for their costumes, and stories about how the variously costumed characters relate. And then take entire photo series depicting the climax of their conflict. I totally beat up the prom queen. It was awesome.

Seriously, a show of hands please: who had fun at high school dances in high school? Anyone? Anyone? Ok, then. I suggest we petition for a new policy, to be implemented immediately, nation-wide: leave the poor high-schoolers alone. And let the 20-somethings have all the fun.

2 Comments:

Blogger Laura Farina said...

Well dude, as I was your date, I think I can remind you of of a few things. It was a slightly awkward night and we spent much of the time making faces at Anna as she danced with Dave Leavitt. Then a friend of your father's was staying upstairs in the hotel, so we all trouped up there and she gave us drinks from the mini bar and made us write down where we wished to be in ten years...or it might have been twenty. On the cruise we sang U2 to the waves.

That's all I've got.

4:02 PM  
Blogger bee said...

i had fun at high school dances...but i was a freak. i'd have more fun now.

4:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home