.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

fishing in a bucket

"Fishing in a bucket. The total hopelessness of the activity was very soothing." - from "The Exiles" by Hilary McKay

My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, Canada

Reading: By The Lake (McGahern); Contemporary Canadian Women's Short Stories (Ed: Moore) [email me: fishinginabucket at gmail dot com]

Saturday, June 17, 2006

instant karma's gonna get you

Lounging in Washington Square Park after the game this afternoon, Cass and I discussed, in low voices, the shoes and clothes of passers-by. A twenty-or-thirty-something woman with huge sunglasses and unrealistically frizzless hair walked by, yapyapyapping on her cell. She was dragging a huge, pony-sized dog behind her; the dog limped, and looked thirsty, and stopped to poop in the middle of the walkway. The woman, still on her cell, completely failed to notice the hot, smooshy, light brown turd her dog had left directly in the path of walkers-by.

So we sat there for fifteen minutes, watching the poo, as person after person failed to step in it. Sometimes they saw it, and sometimes it was just sheer luck. We were kind of cheering for someone to walk in it, though, amusing the men on the next bench with our running commentary. We decided that there must be a paper to be written about peripheral vision, or unconciously seeing what other people avoid and then avoiding it yourself, or statistics. And we went on with our lives.

Still, it was kind of mean of us. Or, not 'kind' of; just mean.

When I got home there was a roach in my desk. IN it. In the q-tip box. Apparently facinated with my pens and stapler and phone bill.

Ugh.

John Lennon said it best, didn't he?

3 Comments:

Blogger j said...

I know!! We wish you were here! You would have loved the poop.

8:52 PM  
Blogger Sunset Shazz said...

A nice story, but it's really quite disappointing that you left while nobody had yet stepped in it.

I mean, Ace and I would have hung around for at least a couple of hours. And we would have wagered on the outcome.

5:37 AM  
Blogger j said...

My mother taught me not to gamble.

And, unlike you and Ace, Cass and I had actual lives with actual things to do.

2:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home