.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

fishing in a bucket

"Fishing in a bucket. The total hopelessness of the activity was very soothing." - from "The Exiles" by Hilary McKay

My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, Canada

Reading: By The Lake (McGahern); Contemporary Canadian Women's Short Stories (Ed: Moore) [email me: fishinginabucket at gmail dot com]

Saturday, June 17, 2006

snippets from a game...

Leave it to the Americans and the Italians to produce the most dramatic game of the tournament.

The restaurant/bar in the Flatiron district was posh, but rowdy; the Italians were in the back, but somehow Cass and I got stuck with the Americans. We could barely hear each other for all the obnoxious "U!S!A!" chanting.

With so much blood - actual blood, and symbolic blood in the form of red cards - on the field, it wasn't surprising that the drama seeped through the skin and into our own blood.

Me, screaming at the screen, at the blood-streaked American, after de Rossi accidentally (look at the replay: totally an accident!) jabbed him in the face with his elbow, and got sent off: "Be a man! Suck it up! Or go back to your wussy baseball!"
Cass, softly, across the table: "You're gonna get us beat up."

Me, texting Sal, after the two more red cards were dealt out to the Americans: "I think I might start believing in god."
Sal: "Such is the power of footie."

Me, when Italy, although one man up, and despite my man del Piero's beautiful efforts, still fail to score: "This is the most stressful thing I've ever been through."
Sal: "You should start liking beer then. That will help."

It was a horrible game. I'm still carrying the tension in my neck. This makes the next two games in this group incredibly important. It is now a point of ifs ands and buts. And, for the record, before anyone asks: Yes, of course I'd love it if both Ghana and Italy went through, but I'm not willing to waste my new-found penchant for prayer on anyone or anything but the Italians, the English, and the blessing of a roach-free household.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home