.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

fishing in a bucket

"Fishing in a bucket. The total hopelessness of the activity was very soothing." - from "The Exiles" by Hilary McKay

My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, Canada

Reading: By The Lake (McGahern); Contemporary Canadian Women's Short Stories (Ed: Moore) [email me: fishinginabucket at gmail dot com]

Thursday, January 01, 2009

What are you doing New Year's Eve?

I've been told that some people believe that whatever you do New Year's Eve - or New Year's Day, depending on the, uh, 'thinking' behind the superstition - is what you will do for the whole year.

So I was very happy to spend New Year's Eve with two close friends, drinking champagne, painting our nails, and talking politics.

But when I woke up New Year's Day, I made some coffee, and cleaned the house, and then thought, just in case the superstition is true, I can't spend the whole day just drinking coffee (well, that would be okay) and cleaning the house (that's the bad one. Who wants to spend a whole year cleaning?)

So I've "kindly" arranged to go babysit my goddaughter so her parents can go out and be romantic or whatever, because hanging out with my goddaughter will be an awesome thing to do all year. The question is: should I take laundry, or will that mean I will be doing laundry all year?

Actually, scratch that, the answer is clearly yes: I love doing laundry.

This is all to say: Happy New Year, people.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home